Friday, October 21, 2011

Airplanes

I've spent a lot of time on airplanes recently...some of them on the larger side and a couple of them not so large. That's okay. Airplanes are a comfort thing for for me in a strange sort of way. Maybe it has to do with the fact that my dad was a pilot and so was my husband for many years. My earliest recollection was my mother taking my sister and I down by Lockheed on Hwy 41 and watching Dad do touch and go's. We learned what airplanes were flying overhead by listening to them and identifying their individual sounds. Fast forward to our years in the Navy and the P-3 Orion picked up where the C-5 left off. For the longest time it was what I related to and therefore was my comfort zone. So, where am I going with this? If this is a comfort zone for me, then why can't I understand it...because I just don't get it. Have you ever been on an airplane and really thought about how it can do that? How does it stay in the air like that without anything holding it up!? I can see my "physics major" husband rolling his eyes right now...and my dad would too if he were here. And yes, I've heard it explained a million times. Truth be told...it doesn't matter. I get a great deal of perspective when I'm flying somewhere especially when I look out the window and watch the world go by and I don't have to understand it. Everything does look quieter and calmer from up there even though I know better and physics has nothing to do with it...I get to do it again next week for the long haul back to Abu Dhabi. After all these years, it still amazes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment